Comparison of novel tools with traditional cognitive tests in detecting delirium in elderly medical patients.
AuthorsMeagher, David J
Dunne, Colum P
Letter and Shape Drawing test
MetadataShow full item record
JournalWorld journal of psychiatry
AbstractNeurocognitive diagnoses were delirium (n = 44), dementia (n = 30), comorbid delirium-dementia (n = 60) and no neurocognitive disorder (n = 46). All conventional tests had sensitivity of > 70% for delirium, with best overall accuracy for the Vigilance-B (78.3%), Vigilance-A (77.8%) and MBT (76.7%) tests. The sustained attention component of the Lighthouse test was the most distinguishing of delirium (sensitivity 84.6%; overall accuracy 75.6%). The LSD-4 had sensitivity of 74.0% and overall accuracy 74.4% for delirium identification. Combining tests allowed for enhanced sensitivity (> 90%) and overall accuracy (≥ 75%) with the highest overall accuracy for the combination of MBT-Vigilance A and the combined Vigilance A and B tests (both 78.3%). When analyses were repeated for those with dementia, there were similar findings with the MBT-Vigilance A the most accurate overall combination (80.0%). Combining the Lighthouse-SA with the LSD-4, a fail in either test had sensitivity for delirium of 91.4 with overall accuracy of 74.4%.
- Attention, vigilance and visuospatial function in hospitalized elderly medical patients: Relationship to neurocognitive diagnosis.
- Authors: Leonard M, O'Connell H, Williams O, Awan F, Exton C, O'Connor M, Adamis D, Dunne C, Cullen W, Meagher DJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Attention, vigilance, and visuospatial function in hospitalized elderly medical patients: relationship to delirium syndromal status and motor subtype profile.
- Authors: Daly C, Leonard M, O'Connell H, Williams O, Awan F, Exton C, O'Connor M, Adamis D, Dunne CP, Cullen W, Meagher DJ
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Comparison of cognitive and neuropsychiatric profiles in hospitalised elderly medical patients with delirium, dementia and comorbid delirium-dementia.
- Authors: Leonard M, McInerney S, McFarland J, Condon C, Awan F, O'Connor M, Reynolds P, Meaney AM, Adamis D, Dunne C, Cullen W, Trzepacz PT, Meagher DJ
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 8
- Months backward test: A review of its use in clinical studies.
- Authors: Meagher J, Leonard M, Donoghue L, O'Regan N, Timmons S, Exton C, Cullen W, Dunne C, Adamis D, Maclullich AJ, Meagher D
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 22
- A pilot study of performance among hospitalised elderly patients on a novel test of visuospatial cognition: the letter and shape drawing (LSD) test.
- Authors: White D, Williams OA, Leonard M, Exton C, Adamis D, Hannigan A, Cullen W, Dunne CP, Meagher D
- Issue date: 2017 Sep