Human Monocyte Subset Distinctions and Function: Insights From Gene Expression Analysis.
next generation sequencing
MetadataShow full item record
JournalFrontiers in immunology
AbstractMonocytes are a highly plastic innate immune cell population that displays significant heterogeneity within the circulation. Distinct patterns of surface marker expression have become accepted as a basis for distinguishing three monocyte subsets in humans. These phenotypic subsets, termed classical, intermediate and nonclassical, have also been demonstrated to differ in regard to their functional properties and disease associations when studied in vitro and in vivo. Nonetheless, for the intermediate monocyte subset in particular, functional experiments have yielded conflicting results and some studies point to further levels of heterogeneity. Developments in genetic sequencing technology have provided opportunities to more comprehensively explore the phenotypic and functional differences among conventionally-recognized immune cell subtypes as well as the potential to identify novel subpopulations. In this review, we summarize the transcriptomic evidence in support of the existence of three separate monocyte subsets. We also critically evaluate the insights into subset functional distinctions that have been garnered from monocyte gene expression analysis and the potential utility of such studies to unravel subset-specific functional changes which arise in disease states.
- A Novel, Five-Marker Alternative to CD16-CD14 Gating to Identify the Three Human Monocyte Subsets.
- Authors: Ong SM, Teng K, Newell E, Chen H, Chen J, Loy T, Yeo TW, Fink K, Wong SC
- Issue date: 2019
- Standardized flow cytometry assay for identification of human monocytic heterogeneity and LRP1 expression in monocyte subpopulations: decreased expression of this receptor in nonclassical monocytes.
- Authors: Ferrer DG, Jaldín-Fincati JR, Amigone JL, Capra RH, Collino CJ, Albertini RA, Chiabrando GA
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- SuperSAGE evidence for CD14++CD16+ monocytes as a third monocyte subset.
- Authors: Zawada AM, Rogacev KS, Rotter B, Winter P, Marell RR, Fliser D, Heine GH
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 22
- The "Intermediate" CD14<sup>++</sup>CD16<sup>+</sup> monocyte subset increases in severe peripheral artery disease in humans.
- Authors: Wildgruber M, Aschenbrenner T, Wendorff H, Czubba M, Glinzer A, Haller B, Schiemann M, Zimmermann A, Berger H, Eckstein HH, Meier R, Wohlgemuth WA, Libby P, Zernecke A
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 19
- Identification of Novel Human Monocyte Subsets and Evidence for Phenotypic Groups Defined by Interindividual Variations of Expression of Adhesion Molecules.
- Authors: Merah-Mourah F, Cohen SO, Charron D, Mooney N, Haziot A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 10