Identification of genes involved in the mutualistic colonization of the nematode Heterorhabditis bacteriophora by the bacterium Photorhabdus luminescens.
AffiliationDepartment of Microbiology, University College Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIdentification of genes involved in the mutualistic colonization of the nematode Heterorhabditis bacteriophora by the bacterium Photorhabdus luminescens. 2010, 10:45 BMC Microbiol.
AbstractABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Photorhabdus are Gram negative entomopathogenic bacteria that also have a mutualistic association with nematodes from the family Heterorhabditis. An essential part of this symbiosis is the ability of the bacterium to colonize the gut of the freeliving form of the nematode called the infective juvenile (IJ). Although the colonization process (also called transmission) has been described phenomonologically very little is known about the underlying molecular mechanisms. Therefore, in this study, we were interested in identifying genes in Photorhabdus that are important for IJ colonization. RESULTS: In this work we genetically tagged P. luminescens TT01 with gfp and constructed a library containing over 3200 mutants using the suicide vector, pUT-Km2. Using a combination of in vitro symbiosis assays and fluorescent microscopy we screened this library for mutants that were affected in their ability to colonize the IJ i.e. with decreased transmission frequencies. In total 8 mutants were identified with transmission frequencies of
- The pbgPE operon in Photorhabdus luminescens is required for pathogenicity and symbiosis.
- Authors: Bennett HP, Clarke DJ
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- HdfR is a regulator in Photorhabdus luminescens that modulates metabolism and symbiosis with the nematode Heterorhabditis.
- Authors: Easom CA, Clarke DJ
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Photorhabdus phase variants express a novel fimbrial locus, mad, essential for symbiosis.
- Authors: Somvanshi VS, Kaufmann-Daszczuk B, Kim KS, Mallon S, Ciche TA
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Genetic and proteomic characterization of rpoB mutations and their effect on nematicidal activity in Photorhabdus luminescens LN2.
- Authors: Qiu X, Yan X, Liu M, Han R
- Issue date: 2012
- The role of iron uptake in pathogenicity and symbiosis in Photorhabdus luminescens TT01.
- Authors: Watson RJ, Millichap P, Joyce SA, Reynolds S, Clarke DJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22